On Saturday, I decided to make red velvet cupcakes to take to a friend’s house (actually, I had wanted to make Gluten Free Ding Dongs, but I didn’t have the right ingredients; bummer). Anyway, I got back from work and started whipping them up. Do do do do do…Ta da! All done and I slipped them into the oven.
Little did I know that while I was gone at work, my mom had made some nachos for my brothers. In the oven. On broil. Anddddddd guess who forgot to check that the oven in which I was BAKING cupcakes was on BAKE?
Yeah, that would be me.
But guess what tastes really good once you slice the burnt tops off and smother with cream cheese frosting? My cupcakes, that’s what :)
After THAT whole fiasco, I started to do the icing. Um, most fun thing ever! When you use an icing bag and decorative tip that is. Because if you try icing cupcakes with a spatula (and you’re me) then they will look horrible. Apparently though, when you ice them with an icing bag and tip (and you’re still me, mind you) they look just a little less awful. Oh well…
I guess you may be wondering why I called them brown velvet in the title and red in the post. Well, it’s a typo. Har, har. Just kidding. I actually didn’t put enough red dye into the batter.
*Palm to face*
I fail at cooking sometimes. True life.
Recipe Adapted from this nice lady’s blog.
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 325F. And make sure it’s on Bake not Broil.
- 1 3/4 cup of all purpose flour blend (I used a mix of brown rice, tapioca, and white rice…I think. It was in the cabinet and I honestly don’t remember :/ )
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup of sugar (yummy)
Mix all this stuff together in a large bowl. I didn’t mess this part up:)
- 3/4 stick of butter at room temperature aka 6 Tablespoons aka A LOT OF BUTTER
- 2 extra large eggs, lightly beaten, at room temperature (I beat them when they were cold!! Ooh call the cooking police on me)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar (I freaked right here and was like, “Mom! We only have apple cider vinegar!!!”…..Yeah, they’re the same thing.)
- Food coloring
Now, mix all of the above ingredients in with the flour mixture, and when you get to the food coloring only add a few drops for now. The batter will be pretty lumpy so don’t freak out like I did.
- Scant cup of milk (seriously scant? Whatever.)
Add milk and mix, then start adding the rest of your food coloring a little bit at a time–make sure your batter is RED.
Put the batter into a 12-cup muffin tin that has liners in it. Make sure you shift it around so the batter is fairly even. I didn’t and the cupcakes turned out kind of lopsided. Urgh.
Place in center of preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until whatever you decided to stick in the middle comes out clean.
Allow to cool completely before frosting. <–this is actually an important step. Don’t skip it fool.
I left the room to get something for the icing and found this when I came back.
The culprit: My mother.